As outlined in the Regulations section, section 4.22.1 of the OHS Regulation requires employers to develop and implement a written procedure for handling money at late night retail premises if an employee is working alone and there is any risk of harm from a violent act.
Here are some guidelines to follow when you’re developing your own written procedures.
GUIDELINES FOR HANDLING MONEY
- Handle money at a location away from entrances and exits.
- Keep as little cash in the cash register as possible.
- Place large bills in a drop box, safe, or strongroom that is out of sight.
- Use only one cash register and leave the cash tray of the unused register open and visible
GUIDELINES FOR MAKING BANK DEPOSITS
- Avoid making bank deposits at night.
- Vary the time and route for making deposits.
- Don’t carry money in bags marked with the company logo or that make it obvious that cash is being transported.
- Make deposits with a co-worker, where practicable. The co-worker should face away from the depository to keep an eye on other people in the area.