[Content Warning: Sexual Harassment]
This is not your typical e-learning course. Rather than tell you about why sexual harassment is bad, we’ve decided to approach it as a story, which is something that we can all easily relate to. Within this story, we follow an employer, operating a tourism and hospitality business, who receives a disclosure of sexual harassment from one of his workers. As we go through the story, we explore how the employer handles the disclosure, who they call on for support and we consider how we might respond if faced with a similar situation.
The Safer Spaces course covers the following topics:
- Defining Sexual Harassment
- Identifying Risk Factors in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Understanding Workplace Roles and Responsibilities
- Building the Workplace Culture
- Training and Communication
- Receiving a Disclosure of Sexual Harassment
- Responding to a Disclosure of Sexual Harassment
- Creating Safer Spaces for Everyone
Why take Safer Spaces?
- Make a strong commitment to creating sexual harassment free workplaces
- Learn about how to prevent sexual harassment in your workplace
- Understand why a positive workplace culture is instrumental in preventing sexual harassment
- Gain practical knowledge to receive and respond to a sexual harassment disclosure from an employee
- Develop and download your very own Safer Spaces workplace action plan at the end of the course, which is your pledge to create a Safer Space
- Get access to the Safer Spaces suite of resources, designed specifically to complement this course
- Download other curated tools and resources, which you can use in your workplace (templates, tip sheets, articles and more!)
What else should I know?
We wanted to create a safe and convenient space for students to learn about workplace sexual harassment; Safer Spaces is therefore delivered in an online, asynchronous format, so that you can progress at your own pace, with no pressure.
The course is free of charge and takes approximately three hours to complete.
You will receive a Safer Spaces certificate of completion upon successfully completing the course.
What about a worker course?
Safer Spaces for Employers and Supervisors is the first in a series of two Safer Spaces online courses that have been developed by go2HR. The worker-focused training course will be coming in early 2023 and is intended to build upon the strong foundations laid by the employer and supervisor community. Our ultimate aim here is to help empower B.C.’s tourism and hospitality workforce to reject sexual harassment and to play a crucial part in building strong, supportive workplaces for everyone.
WhERE CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS INITIATIVE?
Please visit the Safer Spaces homepage.
Want to learn more? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.